Oral pathology is a confluence of basic and clinical dentistry. It is a building block of dentistry. It is a branch of dentistry which is involved in the study of basic oral and dental tissues, and also about its disease and abnormalities. The department was started in the year 2000 at the time of inception of the college. This department teaches and coaches two exam going subjects per year. From 2000 to 2007, as per the DCI regulations of 1983, oral histology & dental anatomy was taught in the second year BDS and oral pathology in third year BDS. From 2008 to till date, as per the new regulations of DCI oral histology & dental anatomy was taught in the first year BDS and oral pathology in second & third year BDS. The interns have 15 days rotational postings. The time table, curriculum and quota of work are as per DCI and Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR medical university regulations.
Apart from academic teaching the department also undertakes the responsibility of clinical histopathology. Biopsy specimens are received from various departments of the institution as well as referrals from other hospitals both in and outside the region. The biopsy tissue both hard and soft specimens are processed in the histopathology lab and diagnostic reports are provided.
The department boasts of well qualified and well trained staffs and technicians who takes care of teaching as well as clinical and histopathological work. The department is well equipped with semi automatic microtome and research microscopes.
The Department of Oral Pathology strives to be internationally recognized in the fields of Oral cancer, diagnostics, stem cell research, forensic Odontology, tobacco cessation, immouno-histochemistry, genetics, nano-technology and oral biology.
To be a department of academic excellence through dedicated teaching and high quality diagnostics with cutting-edge technology.
To inculcate qualitative knowledge on oral pathology and oral tissues
To empower the students with skills in clinical examination and diagnosis
Provide diagnostic pathological, radiological, and forensic odontological services of highest quality
Create a stimulating and pleasant environment in which students and staff can excel.
Long term goal
- To be the centre of higher research activities in collaboration with national and international institutions pertaining to oral health.
- To establish the department as the best and well- equipped diagnostic center that uses latest technology, internationally.
- To bring in foreign investments and research funding as there is no dearth in the availability of clinical materials for any diseases of oral and maxillofacial region. So the department has every potential to elevate the standard to the highest level both qualitatively and quantitatively.
Short term goal
- To start postgraduate MDS training program.
- To start research programs.
- To start junior and senior research fellowship program in research methodology.
- To start a immune-histochemistry lab.
- To start stem cell research lab in collaboration.
- To start genetic and karyo-typing lab.
- To start cell culture laboratory.
- To start UGC and ICMR funded projects.
- To collaborate with state and central government, ministry of health to diagnose and disease eradication.
- To collaborate with department of public health and family welfare to create awareness about oral cancer, HIV/ AIDS disease and oral hygiene.
- To start Tobacco cessation clinic with IDA funding.
- To start Forensic odontology services in association with police and intelligence department to detect crime.