Oral and maxillofacial surgery is a branch of surgery to correct a wide spectrum of diseases, injuries and defects in the head, neck, face, jaws and the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial region. The Maxillofacial post graduate out-patient department deals with minor oral surgical procedures like Impactions, Trauma, Surgical removal of cysts and Oral Implantology. The Maxillofacial unit has a dedicated 20 bedded in-patient department at Sri Ramakrishna Hospital wherein the unit teams up with surgeons of other specialties like Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery, Surgical Oncology and undertake Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeries, Management of Trauma patients, Orthognathic Surgeries and Oncosurgical cases. There are 6 post graduate students in the department who are posted on-call 24x7 at the hospital casualty.
They undergo special training in departments like Anesthesia, Intensive care, General Medicine, General Surgery, Neurosurgery and Surgical Oncology at Sri Ramakrishna Hospital. Under the student exchange program, the post graduate students are posted at Tertiary referral centers outside the state to undergo special training in Cleft lip and Cleft palate surgeries.
To provide state of art maxillofacial care for all needy patients and to maintain highest standard of quality education and patient care with humanity and self discipline
Oral and maxillofacial surgery is a branch of surgery to correct a wide spectrum of diseases, injuries and defects in the head, neck, face, jaws and the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial region.
It is a recognized international surgical specialty and it is one of the nine specialties of dentistry.
- Dentoalveolar surgery (surgery to remove impacted teeth, difficult tooth extractions, extractions on medically compromised patients, bone grafting or pre prosthetic surgery to provide better anatomy for the placement of implants, dentures, or other dental prostheses)
- Diagnosis and treatment of benign and malignant pathology, cysts, tumors etc.
- Diagnosis and treatment of congenital craniofacial malformations such as cleft lip and palate and cranial vault malformations such as craniosynostosis, (craniofacial surgery)
- Diagnosis and treatment of soft and hard tissue trauma of the oral and maxillofacial region (jaw fractures, cheek bone fractures, nasal fractures, Face bone fractures, skull fractures and eye socket fractures)
- Diagnosis and treatment of chronic facial pain disorders.
- Diagnosis and treatment of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders
- Cosmetic surgery limited to the head and neck: orthognathic surgeries and allied surgeries (rhytidectomy/facelift, browlift/blepharoplasty, otoplasty, rhinoplasty, septoplasty, cheek augmentation, chin augmentation, genioplasty, neck liposuction, lip enhancement, injectable cosmetic treatments, botox, chemical peel etc.)
- Oncological( oral cancer) surgeries and reconstruction of defects
The department had performed more than 1000 major surgeries, 15000 minor surgeries and few lakh tooth extraction procedures. 20 beds dedicated to oral and Maxillofacial surgery in Sri Ramakrishna hospital at very affordable charges and coordinated with other specialities from emergency medicine, neuro surgery, orthopaedic, plastic surgery and surgical oncology. Post graduate programme was started by 2009
The library is equipped with more than 250 titles of books and 7 journals in the field of oral and maxillofacial surgery. Under graduate and post graduates have bought laurels to the department by achieving gold medals in the subject at university level
The faculties have presented papers and published articles at national and international level, have been updating the skills by attending conferences and workshops. The department has conducted work shop on oral cancer update.